Thursday, March 20, 2008

O-Week - giving students the chance to run screaming, "What have I done?"

An insistent and irritating beeping was infiltrating my early morning dreaming and no amount of burrowing into my doona would make it stop. As I reluctantly lurched out of bed to switch off my alarm, the realisation that it was the beginning of O-week brought with it a mix of excitement and anxiety, causing me to somehow both rush enthusiastically and dawdle at the same time. One part of me was yelling, in a high-pitched, responsible and financially aware voice, "Why are you leaving a good paying, secure, full-time job to go back to full time university study at 24 years of age? Just think of all the lovely things that you could buy with all the money that you soon won't be earning! If you stay working full-time, you could buy a wide-screen TV....or a house...or even that original retro Transformer that you had your eye on in eBay." Then, of course, the other part of me realised that I didn't actually like that job that I was doing, that uni would get me a job that I adored and that, in fact, I don't actually even want a large screen TV, a house or even expensive Transformers.......well, okay, maybe I do want the Transformer.

Putting aside my desire to own a large variety of childhood-memory inducing paraphernalia, I allowed my excitement to grow. On arrival at campus, I was met with many new faces, all trying desperately to look like they belonged and wondering if it was cool or not to be wearing your coloured lanyard. I was delighted to see people both younger and older that I. which put to rest my fears that I would be taunted for being 'matured aged' and relegated to the outskirts of university society for the duration of my degree.

Nervous smiles, beautiful surroundings, the dawning promise of a new outlook on life and knowledge. This was the place for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment