Saturday, May 10, 2008

Art vs. Science – the Battle for Middle Earth, I mean Bush Court.



Those studying either art or science are like different species. So detached are they, that I, as an artsy kind of student, had to even look up the word species on Wikipedia to ensure my biological classification of both Art and Science students was technically correct. Even the definition I found “A species is often defined as a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring” suggested to me that I should stick to accepting dates only from those on ‘my’ side of Bush Court. Now coming from a household where all disciplines are well represented (Business, Pharmacy, Multimedia, Asian Studies, Nano-Science and Philosophy) you would think that I would be all into the ‘hand-holding, we are all the same on the inside’ hoohaa but my weekly foray to the dark side, otherwise known as the Science and Computing Building, starkly illustrates the differences that set us apart.

Each week I cross from the lush, pagoda-filled Social Science and Humanities side of the campus, with it familiar grassy knolls dotted with students lazily perusing their readers whilst sipping frappes, to the funny smelling building filled Science side of the campus, for one of my Foundation tutorials. As I step into the dark, cool and silent building, my anxiety levels rise as I worry that my lack of graphics calculator would distinguish me as an outsider. Whiteboards filled with equations line my passage to my class. The occasional open door reveals desks with sinks and people wearing lab coats, or a geeky master’s student, complete with pocket protector, busily preparing to teach a Physics class. I quicken my pace, eyes down, worried that at any moment, someone wearing safety goggles will pounce at me from one of these doors and demand that I must tell them the atomic weight of Bohrium, if I wish to proceed. This perverted version of Billy Goats Gruff has lead to me writing the periodic table on my left arm. You know, just in case.

I wonder if these science students feel the same way when they venture to ‘my’ side? Do they get worried that someone may ask them to name 4 influential artists of the 20th Century? Can there be love between Art and Science? Can an understanding that we all fear the other bridge the gulf that is Bush Court?

I say yes.

7 comments:

  1. I really wish I could get a degree after three years sitting around talking about my feelings...

    Unfortunately a BSc requires work :-[

    Maybe there can be love, but I doubt this can happen without acceptance that each side has its worth. :-\

    (Somebody had to defend the other side)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dirk, I hope you realise that I was playing on broad generalisations in this post and in no way mean to actually insult any science students. I myself studied science and mathematics at university about 5 years ago and definitely know the worth of science. In fact you could say that generally arts students are the ones that get flack for studying a 'make believe' degree.

    Since I have studied both, I would say that although they are very different, neither is more important than the other.

    Thanks, Kacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kacy. Maybe my sarcasm was a bit too sarcastic.

    I really wasn't offended (though I didn't write it that way) I was just giving back some awesomely horrific generalizations (trust me, we don't really do any work)

    I guess I did an awesome job at looking like a jerk, but in all honesty my career deals pretty closely with art based people and I know I couldn't do what they do.

    Peace out, everyone is equal >_<

    ReplyDelete
  4. Generalisations are great for really pointing out how silly we can be sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, that opened a can of worms didn't it? Hehehe. Luv yas all

    ReplyDelete
  6. In IT we find the business people scary and they're on the other side of the same building.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Business people are scary. I think it's the suit they wear that makes them so.

    ReplyDelete