Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Twelfth Night


I am not the most culturally adept of all people in that I don't often find myself engaged in literary squabbles or debates on the renaissance, I am certainly not well read enough for that. Though I can bore many with lengthy discussions about camera lenses and nurture tedium with my insights into karma, I can say that I know very little about Shakespeare. Well beyond a vague memory of something being taught to me in high school. What that something was, is not clear to me but I can safely say that I at least know who Shakespeare is. Vaguely. So when the opportunity arose to see a local production of the Shakespearian comedy, The Twelfth Night, I entered with fresh eyes and an unfettered mind.

I could not make comparisons, though I am sure the original didn't have an iPhone or boom box in it, and I laughed hard at jokes that were new to my ears. I couldn't tell if they butchered a classic, hell I don't even know if it even was a classic to begin with but what I could do was enjoy the stellar performances and dizzying cadences that, after an initial settling in period, I fell in love with. For those unfamiliar with Shakespearian language, though it may seem a little alien to begin with, it quickly engages you with it's poetry, something I am sure my English teacher spent many years trying to convince me of. And it's humour is timeless, causing me on several occasions, to cover my mouth in an attempt to contain my snorts.

For those of you who have seen it, I am sure you am familiar with it's frolicking plot line and for those of you, who like me haven't, it's a love story of sorts, peppered with a case of mistaken identity, evil plots and a man in a rubbish bin. And in the words of the man himself - "I would I had bestowed that time in the tongues that I have in fencing, dancing and bear-baiting. O! had I but followed the arts!" so maybe I shall and add Shakespearian quoting to my list of cultural pursuits.

In Perth? Want to see it? DO IT! Before the 8th August comes and you lose your opportunity to see the man in the bin!

No comments:

Post a Comment