Wednesday, April 2, 2008

You know you're a student when....


Today I came into some money.

As dodgy as that sounds, it involved no pick-pocketing, swindling or even gambling. I simply got a refund and found myself with the dizzying amount of $65 at my complete disposal. Now in the past, when my income far surpassed my daily expenses, a windfall of $65 would go unnoticed, taken for granted, slipped into my wallet to be left unthought of between some old Supa Value receipts and shopping lists. Or it would be spent on a new season of Quantum Leap on DVD. Or a set of Superman pyjamas that I had been lusting over on eBay. Or a Nintendo character stuffed toy from Fremantle, most probably Yoshi, to add to my collection. In fact, pretty much anything non-essential. But now as a newly poor student, still reeling from my first pay slip since going part time, I clutched my unexpected $65 desperately to my chest, hissing and snarling at passers-by, as I was convinced they were out to rob me. The idea of spending my money on anything remotely exciting and fun didn't even cross my mind, as I ran out straight to the supermarket to buy food. Now it's not like I have been without any kind of food for weeks or anything, but the pleasure I felt at buying chocolate flavoured soy milk, capsicum and a really big box of Nutri Grain was possibly more appropriate for say, the birth of one's first child.

I'll be eating well tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Hah I work at the store with the Nintendo toys. Never fear though, they are nearly sold out, so your monies will be saved :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH! Don't tell me that! How sad! Will you be getting more in? :)

    ReplyDelete